Using the Sonoff Pow R2
The Sonoff Pow R2 is an incredibly versatile Wi-Fi-enabled smart switch and monitoring system that allows users to both manage and control their appliances remotely. This means that you can monitor your smart home’s electrical consumption, for example, and react by turning devices connected to the system off and on. The Wi-Fi switch functions as a live power monitor, so you can keep track of extremely accurate current and voltage usage in real-time with nothing more than a connected smart device.
1. Download The eWeLink App
Simply download the eWeLink app on your phone or tablet and see the power consumption running through the Sonoff Pow R2 whenever you like. There are numerous applications you can take advantage of with this device, such as protecting your electrical appliances from overload or turning off devices which are causing a high level of power drainage.
With the eWeLink app, you will be able to see the last 100 days of electricity usage data immediately. Indeed, users are able to export this data with ease which means being able to keep longer records of your electrical consumption, if you wish. This way, you can monitor how much energy your appliances are using up over a significant period and maintain much more control over their long-term running costs.
For many, the Pow R2 power monitoring switch means being able to drive down on electrical consumption in a smart way. For example, the timing schedule means your appliances can be set to power on and off at specific times automatically, perhaps to coincide with lower energy costs at night, for instance. The scene settings will also allow your appliances to function together in ever smarter ways, such as turning the heating down when you switch your bedside light off, for example.
2. Connect The Sonoff Pow R2 With eWeLink App
2.1 Wiring The Sonoff Pow R2
- With a DIN rail attachment or a waterproof case, suited to an external installation, connect your live, neutral and earth wires to the Sonoff Pow R2 with the correct configuration as shown on the product and power up the device.
2.2 Connecting The Sonoff Pow R2
- Press the button on it for seven seconds until the LED blinks three times.
- Next, open your eWeLink app and click “+” then set it to pairing mode.
- Enter any passwords you may need to access your home’s Wi-Fi and add the Sonoff Pow R2 to your eWeLink account.
3. Controlling the Sonoff Pow R2
- With the Sonoff Pow R2 connected to your smart device, you can now operate it as a remote switch, either to turn it on or off.
- Alternatively, view the real-time power metrics that the Sonoff Pow R2 is recording being passed through it.
- You can also tap ‘statistics’ to view power consumption over a given period.
- Within eWeLink, you can also view the overload protection system and enter thresholds which will automatically shut off power if they are exceeded. This could be the maximum power consumption in Watts, for example, or a given Voltage threshold you do not want to go over.
Other features of the Sonoff Pow R2 you can make use of through the app include setting timers for devices to come on or go off, sharing device controls with other eWeLink account holders and downloading the full power monitoring dataset recorded by the device. For more creative uses, enter smart scene settings that will allow you to trigger various functions from certain states as and when they come about.